Thursday, October 19, 2006


Location: McMurdo Station, Antarctica
Weather: -27F, Overcast, winds WSW @ 20

The flight from Christchurch to McMurdo was uneventful (which is the best news). It took 5 hours on an USAF C-17 to make it, and was surprisingly comfortable, for flying in a jumpseat. It is very cold here, something I'm sure I will have to get used to. I have "happy camper" school starting tomorrow for the next two days. I am actually looking forward to camping out tomorrow night, and to getting into the field, which is scheduled for next Wednesday.

I am exhausted. We had a 2:30am wake up, and had to make it to the Antarctic Centre by 4:00am. Of course, we didn't go wheels up until 7:45am, and landed almost exactly 5 hours later at 12:47pm. I am off to read a little, go to the coffee house, and then get an early night sleep.

Take care all. I'll report after my snowcraft school.

No comments: