Saturday, November 15, 2008

Déjà vu

Location:  Christchurch, NZ
Weather: 80F, Sunny

Well, it all starts again after four flights and a little over 24 hours in the air I have arrived in Christchurch, New Zealand.  Last time I lost a Sunday on flights here, and this time it was a Friday.

Christchurch is still beautiful.  All the plants are in bloom and my room at the B&B smells like roses.  I remembered today about how there is nothing  to smell in Antarctica (besides human created smells).  I also remember the last time I got off the ice and walked out of the Kiwi LC-130 at Christchurch airport how hard all of the smells of normal civilization hit me.  Exhaust was overwhelming, smelling peoples perfume, but to even it out--the smell of good thai food.

Speaking of thai, I'm off to Anne's tonight--probably the best thai I have ever had.

Well, I am ready to get this party started.  Tomorrow is clothing issue and then my flight to the ice will be on Monday.  I want to get down there, turn the jets on for a month, and get everything we have planned accomplished.

Which includes a week in a remote tent camp at 87 degrees latitude.  I have always wanted to get to the South Pole, but I guess I'll have to settle for 2 degrees away.  More on that later.

Well, as with the last time, the next update will be from the ice.

No comments: