Thursday, November 09, 2006



Location: Lake Fryxell, Antarctica
Weather: Partly Cloudy, 14F

Lake Fryxell

I have been at Lake Fryxell since Monday doing measurements and such, I plan to head back to Lake Hoare on Saturday to a large crowd...the summer season is in full effect. I just realized that I am currently listening to My Antarctica by Duran Duran, coincidence? Anyway, Lake Fryxell camp is much more remote than Lake Hoare camp, however, I am enjoying the peace and cozy life here. There are five people here, all scientist, 3 from Montana State University, me, and my assistant.

Yesterday, I sampled the helicopter crash site that is the foundation of my grant. For a year I have looked upon this crash site with a scientific eye, thinking about the fuel that escaped into the environment, and it being used as a tracer. Then it hit me. As I have gotten to know the pilots here, I realized there is a personal side to all of this. Two people were seriously injured during the crash and the scientist and support personnel in the valley that day were suddently thrown into a very serious situation. I have had the chance to talk to a few people that were here that day, and to hear that story it makes the scientific aspect of it almost worthless. I would like to say to the all of the people that assisted that day in 2003 that I am impressed with your abilities and professionalism that saved the life of two people. Cheers.

Pictures: Lake Fryxell from the helicopter ride over here. The Fryxell Camp.

No comments: