Thursday, November 23, 2006


Location: Lake Hoare, Antarctcia
Weather: Sunny, 25F (this is at the coldest temperature point of the day)

Thanksgiving Day and Wacky, Wacky, Antarctica

When you didn't think things could get any stranger the lake ice has "done pulled a fast one on me." I go back to McMurdo Station to make some modifications and repairs to my system to have a great second half of the sampling season with my machine, and when I returned the ice has changes its characteristics dramatically. Well, Okay, in field work adjustment is a necessary evil, but this change has rendered my gizmo useless. I won't go into the drudgeries of ice physics, but to sum it up, "it just don't work no more." So, change is on the horizon.

I am going to possibly change the direction of sampling, which would involve taking the ice to McMurdo for analysis. Does that mean I have to leave the valley and take up residence there, unfortunately, probably yes.

Today is Thanksgiving. We are planning a very traditional, home cooked meal for 30. Yes, we are the talk of the valley. The pilgrims (beakers at the neighboring lakes and valleys) will be hiking or flying in for our feast. Lucky for me, my tent is only 1000 feet away so maneuvering with a Tryptophan (C11H12N2O2) seduced body will not be to tough. Happy T-Givings everyone!

Picture: A Lighter at the Lake.

5 comments:

amy said...

Enjoy your tryptophan induced state today. It's not seroquel, but maybe the next best thing??

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Susan said...

Happy Thanksgiving- are you getting an apple pie?

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving! :-)

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving! :-)